I See Him: A Reflection Inspired by Vincent van Gogh
“Not being understood does not mean you are wrong. It means your soul speaks a rare language.”
![]() |
| AI generated artwork of a woman looking at Van Gogh’s Starry Night through a window |
When I think about Vincent van Gogh, I do not just see the artist who painted Starry Night or Sunflowers. I see a man whose life was filled with both shadows and light, and who poured every ounce of his pain, his longing, and his hope onto the canvas. He was only 37 when he died, yet in those short years he created more than 2,000 works of art. That alone tells me something about him: he was a soul who could not stop creating, even when the world around him turned away.
I keep imagining what it must have felt like for him. To spend his life carrying a storm inside, and yet choose to paint skies alive with color. To see beauty in fields, flowers, and ordinary objects when his own heart was breaking. He fought battles no one else could see, and still, he left behind a vision of the world that has healed millions of people since.
Misunderstood Genius
It makes me sad to know that Van Gogh’s art was not celebrated while he was alive. He sold only one painting, The Red Vineyard, during his lifetime. The boldness of his brushstrokes, the swirling skies, the heavy texture of paint layered on thick: these things that today inspire awe were once seen as strange, unpolished, and unacceptable. His contemporaries dismissed his work as messy, childlike, even disturbing.
![]() |
| Vincent van Gogh, The Red Vineyard (1888). The only painting he sold in his lifetime |
I think of how lonely that must have felt. To create from your soul, only to have the world misunderstand or reject it. It is the kind of loneliness that cuts deeper than words, because it tells you that your truest voice does not belong. And yet, he kept painting. Even in his darkest days, he kept searching for light with his brush.
Maybe that is why I connect to him. I know what it feels like to be misunderstood, to carry pain that others cannot see, to try to make something meaningful out of that silence. His art makes me feel less alone in that struggle.
His Brother Theo
When I think of Van Gogh’s life, I cannot ignore his brother Theo. Without Theo, maybe the world would never have seen Vincent’s work at all. Theo was the one who encouraged him, who believed in him, who supported him when no one else did. Their letters reveal a bond that is tender and heartbreaking. Vincent often wrote about his fears, his doubts, and his dreams of bringing beauty into the world. Theo answered with love, with patience, with belief.
That makes me ask myself: how many of us would keep creating if even one person stayed by our side? Sometimes, it takes only one person who believes in us to keep our fire alive. For Van Gogh, that was Theo. And even though Vincent never saw his art celebrated, Theo’s faith kept him painting until the end.
Shadows and Light
One of the moments that hit me hardest was learning that Van Gogh admitted himself into an asylum at Saint Remy. There, surrounded by locked doors and walls, he created some of his most famous works, including Starry Night. That painting does not look calm. The sky swirls with chaos, almost like it is breathing, alive with turbulence. And yet, it also glows. The stars and moon blaze with brightness, refusing to be swallowed by the dark.
![]() |
| Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night (1889). Painted from the asylum at Saint Remy |
That speaks to me. Because sometimes the night inside our minds feels endless, but Van Gogh reminds us that even the night has light woven into it. He did not paint the stars as tiny pinpoints far away: he painted them as fiery orbs that dominate the sky. To me, that is a message: even when we feel small in the shadows, there is always light burning somewhere above us.
When I think about my own experience of walking into a mental hospital, hoping to heal, I remember feeling both brave and terrified. I thought I was doing the right thing, but inside those walls, I saw pain in ways I could not explain. I felt small, trapped, and unsure if I would ever find my way out. And yet, like Van Gogh, I kept searching for beauty. I kept creating. That is why his story speaks to me so deeply: it whispers that even in brokenness, there is still color worth painting.
What Is a Masterpiece?
It is strange to think about how the world defines masterpieces. Michelangelo’s Pieta is called a masterpiece, but Van Gogh’s Starry Night was not seen that way until long after his death. Gees Bend quilts, Yoruba masks, Mayan vases: so many works of art created with skill and passion were ignored or dismissed as “craft” or “artifact.”
![]() |
| Women of Gees Bend sewing in 1937. Creating warmth, comfort, and art from scraps and faith. Library of Congress, public domain |
Who decides what counts as a masterpiece? Why is originality praised in some cultures but tradition valued in others? Why do we celebrate da Vinci and Michelangelo as geniuses, but forget the artisans, quilters, and unnamed makers whose works hold just as much beauty?
Van Gogh’s life forces me to ask these questions. He was not a genius in his time. He was just a man who painted against the current. Today, the world calls him a genius because we finally caught up to what he saw all along.
A Personal Connection
For me, Van Gogh’s story is not just history, it is a mirror. His pain, his loneliness, his longing to be seen: it echoes my own struggles. And yet, his persistence, his refusal to stop creating, his ability to pour beauty out of suffering: that gives me hope.
![]() |
| Vincent van Gogh, Wheatfield with Crows (1890). Often seen as his final painting |
Maybe our darkest days still have color. Maybe being misunderstood does not erase the worth of our voices. Maybe, like Van Gogh, we can keep painting our lives with strokes of resilience, even when no one claps for us.
I like to think that Van Gogh’s colors were his way of saying, “I am still here. I still see beauty. I still believe in light.” And even though he did not live to see the world understand him, he left behind proof that broken souls can still leave behind brilliance.
Closing Reflection
When I look at Van Gogh’s paintings, I see more than art. I see a man who carried storms inside him, yet gave us skies full of stars. I see someone who walked through shadows but still planted fields of sunflowers. I see proof that even the most misunderstood lives can speak to generations long after they are gone.
![]() |
| Vincent van Gogh, Sunflowers (1888) |
So I ask you: Have you ever felt misunderstood or unseen, like something you created or felt deeply did not match what the world expected? If so, what helped you hold on or keep going?
Maybe Van Gogh’s brush still whispers to us today: that even when the world does not understand us, our colors are still worth painting.
Credits
All paintings by Vincent van Gogh are in the public domain. Historical photo of Gees Bend quilters courtesy of the Library of Congress, public domain. Hero image is AI generated.
You may also like:






Comments
Post a Comment