🧠 When Emotions and Assumptions Take Over, the Family Loses
![]() |
Sometimes it’s not what actually happened.
It’s what we assumed.
Lately, I’ve been reflecting on how letting our emotions and imagination shape our reactions can slowly damage the relationships that matter most.
I’ve seen arguments begin with a misinterpreted look, a phrase taken out of context, or simply someone’s silence.
And from that silence, the assumptions begin to grow.
Assumptions turn into anger.
Anger turns into shouting.
Shouting leaves wounds.
And wounds, if left unhealed, create distance and resentment.
What I’ve Witnessed in My Family
I’ve seen:
- Couples ending in divorce
- Siblings who no longer speak
- Parents and children growing apart
Often, not because of what truly happened, but because no one stopped to ask,
“What did you mean by that?”
or
“Can you help me understand what happened?”
Emotions and Assumptions Create Fire
I’ve come to understand that reacting with emotion is like pouring gasoline on a fire.
It doesn’t put the fire out. It makes it grow.
And when assumptions are added, the flames become uncontrollable.
What I’m Learning
- Pause before reacting
Take a breath. Don’t respond right away. - Ask calmly
Not with blame, but with curiosity. - Truly listen
Without planning a defense while the other person is still speaking.
It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.
When we try these steps, our conversations begin to shift.
And so do our relationships.
A Gentle Invitation
The next time you feel the urge to react in anger
or assume the worst…
Pause.
Ask a question.
Listen for the answer.
And respond with clarity,
not just with a wounded heart.
You may realize the problem wasn’t as big as it seemed.
Or maybe, it didn’t exist at all.

Comments
Post a Comment