I See Him – A Reflection Inspired by Vincent van Gog

“Not being understood does not mean you are wrong. It means your soul speaks a rare language.”

I’ve been learning about Vincent van Gogh and I can’t stop thinking about how much he must have carried in silence. He was only 37 when he died. He spent so much of his life trying to fight something no one else could see. He painted the world in color, though inside it seems like he was surrounded by shadows. That makes me sad because I know what it feels like to battle with your own mind and still want to bring beauty into the world.

What makes it even more painful is knowing that people didn’t see the beauty in his art until after he died. While he was alive, his work was misunderstood, criticized, and ignored. For his time, his painting style wasn’t considered normal. The bold colors, the emotions, the way he painted pain and life with so much movement, it didn’t fit in. I wonder if that made things even harder for him. To create something from your soul, only to have the world look away or judge it, that’s a kind of loneliness most people don’t talk about.

I wonder if he ever questioned if it was worth it. If he ever felt like he was wasting his time. He kept painting, even when he was hurting. That tells me something. There is always something left inside worth fighting for. Maybe our darkest days still have color.
When I found out he admitted himself into a mental hospital it hit me hard. I’ve done that too. I walked into a place thinking I was doing the right thing, trying to be strong, trying to get better. Once you are inside, you see things that are hard to explain. People hurting in ways that scare you. Suddenly, you don’t feel safe. You feel small, trapped, and unsure if you’ll ever find your way out.


Have you ever felt misunderstood or unseen, like something you created or felt deeply didn’t match what the world expected? If so, what helped you hold on or keep going?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Trust Disappears from the Streets

Contact

“Detrás de las redadas de ICE: explotación laboral y derechos humanos”