A Letter From the Cage

 


“Somewhere along the way, I lost myself. But today, I am choosing to find her again.”




There was a moment when I felt like my feet had hit the ground hard.
Like nothing around me would ever change.
Like I would always be just a simple woman, without education, without a voice.
If I kept living that way, I would grow old with nothing to show for the life I gave away.

I started to believe school was just a dream,
something too far, too fragile,
like it could be taken from me the moment someone got upset.
I was treated like a child,
spoken to with anger,
and made to feel like my voice didn’t matter because I didn’t earn money or contribute enough.

I stayed quiet.
I hated myself for it.
I hated feeling like a failure.
I still loved the dream of learning,
of building something for myself,
but I felt like it would never belong to me,
that it could be crushed or destroyed at any moment.

I felt trapped.
Like I was locked in a cage with no key,
no wings to fly,
no air to breathe,
a prisoner of someone else’s control.

Or just a simple mom
whose only job is to clean, cook, do laundry, and take care of the kids.
And don’t get me wrong
I love my kids
but somewhere along the way
I lost myself.
And all I wanted was to know
will there ever be a day when I feel free?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Trust Disappears from the Streets

Contact

“Detrás de las redadas de ICE: explotación laboral y derechos humanos”